21 Things I Do That Save Me: Money, Time, Effort
1. I cook 3 meals worth of pasta at once.
2. I hand-wash /line dry my clothes.
3. I don’t have a car.
4. I use the Lemon Bus, which runs on used chip fat oil.
5. I only go to the store 2-3 times every 10-week-term. Everything else is bought form the co-op, which I can walk to.
6. I buy things on sale or in charity shops.
7. My rent’s taken out of my account automatically. = never late/obverdraft.
8. I use BBC I Player as it saves me money on a TV license and will save me money on electricity (it’s included in the rent atm)
9. I meal plan, but not obsessively and we eat a lot of vegetarian meals..
10. I keep a budget, although I’ll spend recklessly one week I’ll make sure it balances out to an average that’s under my set budget. E.G. I’ll spent £50 one week but by adding up all the money spent, dividing it by how many weeks, it’s still under £25.
11. I use a laptop rather than a desktop computer; it uses less energy.
12. I don’t go out to or rent movies.
13. I recycle paper and cardboard.
14. I take food and drink (nettle tea in a thermos at times) to lectures to save money and the environment.
15. I cut my own hair.
16. I’m learning to knit so I’ll be able to make my own scarves and hats eventually.
17. I use a Pay and Go tariff which means I only spend £10 every 3 months on topping up credit.
18. I don’t buy cards for Yule/Christmas or Birthdays.
19. I use eco-friendly liquid wash.
20.We buy in bulk.
21. I use cans of sweetcorn and press-ups for exercise instead of free weights or the gym.
What do you do? What could I do to add to this even though I’m living in shared and rented accomodation on campus where we only have Co-Op shops? Any ideas on saving money while out with housemates?